About Me

Washington, DC, United States
I have been, among other things, a bookshop owner, counterintelligence agent, writer, art critic, and grad student (literature and art). One of my blogs includes some examples of my art writing, from the past decade, with some new pieces forthcoming. But my most frequent new posts are to my crime fiction blog, International Noir Fiction.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Art Criticism

© Glenn Harper

Editorial from 2001, Art Papers magazine

I first became aware of contemporary art in the heyday of the notion of art objects as things, not as pointers to something else either "real" or "ideal." But of course, the mute objects of the '60s and '70s were not really mute at all, they were at the center of a whirlwind of words. The art of that era was entangled in a web of text (much of it written by the artists—the art is hardly conceivable without the texts by Robert Smithson, Robert Morris, and others, much of it published in Artforum).

To continue reading this essay at artdesigncafe.com, click On art criticism. Click the following link to see the overview of writings by Glenn Harper at artdesigncafe.com.

No comments: